Monday, February 5, 2018

Song Spotlight - When We All Get To Heaven

Here is a link to the video:

When We All Get To Heaven (Video)


This is one of those songs I heard countless times growing up that I never thought too much about.  That was until my paternal grandfather was placed in hospice and was only expected to live a few days.  My dad and I jumped in the car the next day and drove to see him, while there was still time. 

As we prepared to leave and head back home, the weight of the situation really hit.  This would be the last time we would see PawPaw alive, at least during this lifetime.  We knew we needed to head back home, but nobody wanted to leave.

As we gathered around for our final round of saying "see you later", we prayed - thanking God for a life well lived.  Then we suddenly began to sing "When We All Get To Heaven."  If my memory is correct, it was my grandmother who started the song.  It just seemed like the perfect song to sing at a time like that.

Fast forward 20 years.  My dad had been diagnosed with a terminal illness and was in hospice.  Almost every day, I would bring my acoustic guitar.  Sometimes for hours, I would just sit, play, and sing for him.  Mostly hymns.  One of the last songs I sang for dad before he went home was "When We All Get To Heaven." 

So this is now one of my favorites for two reasons.  First, it reminds us of the hope we have in Jesus.  We don't have to be afraid of death because He has won the victory for us through His death and resurrection.  Second, this song reminds me two people I love very much who are already in Heaven - dad and PawPaw. 

I hope you enjoy it.  Feel free to download the mp3.  Once I do the "official" recording, I will upload this as well.  Thanks and God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment